Computers, Internet, & More
Public Computer Access
PBJCLS offers public computer access to all citizens. Please observe the following computer courtesies:
1. Please sign in yourself using the library's automated computer sign-in system. If you are a Jefferson County resident, a library card is required for authorized use. If you live outside of Jefferson County, you can get a guest pass which is good for three (3) days. You will need to show your driver's license in order to receive a guest pass.
2. Each library has a time limit for computer use. Ask staff for the amount of time that can be used for a single session. If more time is needed, you can ask any staff member.
3. Please cooperate with staff who may need to designate computers for catalog or reference use only.
4. Do not download and/or install software programs on library computers. If you do, you may lose library privileges.
5. Do not access pornographic or obscene materials. If you do, you may lose library privileges.
6. If no computers are available, check with library staff, or make a reservation for when a computer is available.
7. Save your work on a USB flash-drive. You are limited to saving work on the Desktop of the computer.
8. Computer work stations are designed for use by one person at a time.
9. Computers in the children’s area are for use by children age 13 and younger.
10. Computers in the young adult area of the Main Library are for use by young adults only (ages 14 to 17).
Computer Use Procedures
Time Limits: To ensure free access for all patrons, the library has installed software on all computers to manage user time limits. All users must have a valid library card to sign on to the computer. Visitors should see the librarian for more information.
Reservations: Computers may be reserved in advance. Each library has a different advance reservation policy. To reserve a computer, visit the library where you wish to use the computer and sign in. Using the Personal Session Manager, you can choose the computer and the time you wish to reserve.
Hours of Use: All computers will be turned off 15 minutes before closing.
Printing: The printing charge is $0.15 per page and applies whether the user brings paper or uses library paper. Printing from library computers requires a library card. PBJCLS is not responsible for loss of data that may occur when printing.
Saving Files and Documents: All documents that are saved must be saved to a disk or USB flash-drive belonging to the user. PBJCLS is not responsible for loss of data that may occur when saving documents.
For more information, please visit our Computer Use Policy.
Each library provides free public WiFi for those with mobile devices, including smartphones, tablets, and laptops. To access, turn on your device's WiFi and search for the network "Library Guest". Our libraries do not offer wireless or mobile printing.
Each library offers public printing for 15¢ per page. We only offer Black & White printing. We do not offer color, mobile, or wireless printing.
To send a fax, please bring your document(s) as well as the recipient’s number. We do provide cover letters if needed.
The cost for a personal fax is $2.00 for the first page, and $1.00 for the proceeding page(s). The cost of phone charges is included, if the call is within the United States. For international calls, you will need a phone credit card.
If you are faxing to a toll free number, there is no charge for faxing documents. Toll free numbers are 800, 866, and 877.
The cost for receiving a personal FAX would be $1.00 per page. Information sent to a branch from the reference department (such as a copy of a magazine article) is only 25¢ per page.
The library offers scanning service. You can scan documents to your USB drive. Our staff will assist accordingly.